Melt in your mouth brussels sprouts
I feel like brussels sprouts have a really bad reputation for being gross and it’s totally undeserved. It’s all about how you prepare them and once you try this easy, 5-step recipe for the most non-buttery, buttery brussels sprouts – you’ll never go back!
You can pretty much use any non-dairy butter or spread for this recipe as long as it’s suitable for frying but my ultimate favourite butter substitute is the Sunflower Spread by Pure (Dairy Free) – I put it on everything! They also have different types of spread like Soya and Olive but I think they all taste pretty similar. It is also sometimes possible to use margarine as a butter substitute but you have to double-check the ingredients as many of them annoyingly contain dairy!
Prep: 10 minutes
Cooking time: 25 minutes
|Black pepper (coarse or fine)|
- Peel and clean the brussels sprouts and place them in a saucepan for boiling. Fill the pan with enough water to completely cover the brussels sprouts and boil on medium-high heat for 15-20 minutes or until fork tender. Drain the brussels sprouts thoroughly.
- In another saucepan for frying, turn the heat up to high and add in 2-3 tbsp of a non-dairy butter. Use enough of the butter to evenly coat the bottom of the pan and allow it to melt.
- Once the butter has fully melted, turn the heat down to medium low and add in the boiled and drained brussels sprouts, garlic purée, salt and black pepper (I think coarse works better for this).
- On a medium heat, stir the brussels sprouts around to evenly distribute the garlic and turn them over every few minutes until they start to turn slightly brown.
- Turn off the heat and serve.
Side-dish sorted! Want to try these other recipes?