Fluffy and golden giant Yorkshire puddings
After two failed (delicious) attempts, I managed to create pudding perfection: crisp and golden on the outside, soft and fluffy on the inside – completely dairy and egg free. This recipe makes 4 massive puddings….or 12 feeble ones.
To substitute the milk and eggs, I used Alpro soya drink and Organ Egg Replacer. I think any plant based milk would work for this recipe but I went for soya as it’s the closest in thickness and texture to normal milk compared to the usual alternatives. I usually don’t follow the instructions on the back of the packet for the egg replacer as to how much powder is required to make the equivalent of 4 eggs and I would recommend that you don’t either for this recipe. In my experience, it’s better to try and achieve the volume (and texture) of liquid being replaced rather than a specific amount of binder.
Prep: 20 mins
Cooking time: 25 mins
Equipment: Measuring scales in grams, measuring cup in mls, whisk, 4x ramekins
|All Purpose Flour|
|Orgran Egg Replacer|
|Vegetable oil (for baking or frying)|
|Coarse black pepper|
Prep the ramekins:
- Line a baking tray with greaseproof paper and place the ramekins in the tray spaced evenly apart. Line the ramekins with greaseproof paper and fill them with vegetable oil to approximately 1/6-1/5* the depth of the container
*This volume of oil really depends on how big the ramekin is but filling to about 1cm in depth should be fine
- Place the baking tray in the oven at 240ºc (fan-assisted) and let the oil heat up for about 20 minutes whilst you prepare the batter.
If you want to, you can sieve the dry ingredients but it’s not essential. I didn’t use one for this recipe and it turned out well but if you think the ingredients are particularly clumpy then it would be better to sift it.
- In a large mixing bowl add the following dry ingredients (amounts listed above):
- All-purpose flour
- Baking powder
- Black pepper (I used coarse – if you use fine, half the amount listed above)
Whisk together until well combined.
- In a separate bowl, add the following ingredients:
- 4 tbsp of Orgran Egg Replacer powder
- 100mls of water
Whisk together vigorously until the texture becomes gloopy. This is to create the approximate volume of 4 medium-sized eggs.
- Make a “well” in your dry ingredients and slowly add the egg-replacer mixture to the large mixing bowl whilst simultaneously whisking until you get a smooth, homogenous, pancake-like batter. Set to one side.
- After about 20 minutes, carefully remove the tray from the oven and using a ladle or a jug; quickly (and very carefully) pour the batter into each ramekin filling up to about ¾ the depth.
- Carefully place tray back into the oven and set the temperature to 220ºc and bake the puddings for 22-25 minutes. Keep an eye on the puddings during this time, but for the love of God – do not open the oven door until they are completely finished.
- After 25 minutes, remove the tray carefully from the oven and using forks or tongs, remove the Yorkshire puddings from the ramekins and place on a kitchen paper towel to soak up the oil. Allow to cool and serve.
Need ideas to complete your roast dinner? Try some of these recipes: